3/26/14

Make your mark on the world

Can I be real with you guys?
Lets just get real for a moment ok. So earlier this week I was able to watch the film 12 Years a Slave and even begin to read the book. I seriously recommend watching it. There are times where I would condone looking away (nudity is involved) but other than that, watch it. Because it is a true story. Somebody's life on the screen, and a truly heart retching film. While watching this movie and afterwards I was flooded with so many emotions and thoughts as I assume most would be, I mean seriously how could you not? How could you not see all this injustice and feel heartbreak? feel compassion? to feel broken, but empowered to make your mark on the world. For those of you who don't know, I am a Christian. My family is Christian. So when I say "make a mark on the world" I mean ultimately for Jesus Christ. I have been asking myself, how can I change this world for the better until His return? I feel like he answers me more and more daily. Every circumstance is different. It changes with what the day to day brings.
One thing that has been placed on my heart is to show kindness to others. This is huge for me. I think becoming a mother has amplified this in me x100. I desperately want to teach Katie and any future children of mine to be kindhearted. To not be a voice of condemnation or hurt to others. Now, I do want my children to be equipped with the knowledge of good and evil, and to speak out against sin. But I want them, and will teach them, to do so in love and patience.
The best way to teach our kiddo's that is by example right? So I want to exude patience and a gentle heart to those around me. God is teaching me how to this on the regular. & believe it or not I already see the same kind of heart in my sweet (almost) 17 month old daughter. Katie will give anyone a smile and a cheesy hello, along with a bat or two of her glittery blue eyes. I have watched her bring joy to so many people and lots of them are complete and utter strangers, to both  her and I. I love that she is so sweet and kind, even when I have watched people ignore her and her love. I have seen women glance at her and simply pass on by. My sweet Katie continues to say "Hi!" as they pass and then keeps on her marry little way. I love my daughter.
Sometimes I think she is more of an example to me than I am to her. ;)
Funny how that works.
Anyways, as of late Troy and I have started to re-read the book of Job together and I am really enjoying it. I would recommend doing a bible study with your spouse. It is a great way to draw closer together as 1 and also closer to God.
So go ahead and be challenged to make your mark on the world. Day by day, whatever you feel it is God has for you to share. Remember Matthew 5:14,
 "You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden"



On a quick side note, we made it to the pool yesterday.
My babe is a mermaid in the making




Post swim picture with some snack on the chin.
Keepin it toddler classy.

Happy Hump Day!






2 comments:

  1. I've been thinking about studying Job again. We recently did Habakkuk at our church and it was in a very similar vein as Job. Losing everything but still praising God though it.

    Yes, these little ones definitely teach us so much! Even yesterday Abigail corrected me ha! "mom, don't say gosh" and "mama, cover your mouth when you cough" lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it! Study that book. We could totally chat about that subject.
      I feel like I have a blank stare on my face when I think about what it must have been like. & how we feel like that in our lives sometimes too.


      Our girls are the best teachers.
      & it sounds like A knows good hygiene too so, job well done. ;)

      Delete