4/3/15

Taking care of a sick toddler

Katie was sick recently and it was no fun over at our house. Our days consisted of too much movie watching and not enough sunshine and play. It struck her on a Tuesday afternoon after her nap. I walked into the bedroom with a toddler on my bed and a pile of puke laying next to her. #gross
The vomiting continued for the rest of the day and so did a very high fever. I took her to the doctor where she was tested for strep throat and the flu. Both of which, thankfully, came out negative. The doc said it was probably just a stomach virus and would last several days and then she should be back to her young peppy self. Well, as soon as I thought Katie was better the icky bug monster attacked her again! She had bad tummy pain and spent lots of time on the potty. Poor gal. :(
It seriously freaked me out when she went almost 9 hours long without eating anything. Thankfully she is all better now and I couldn't be happier. Here are some tips and my must-haves when my toddler babe is under the weather.






Big Hero 6!
A good movie or something on Netflix that your child loves to hang out and watch for a bit. Most kiddos don't want to sit still and watch T.V for long periods of time, and that is true for Katie too. I needed her to take it easy and try and give her body a break from running around and playing in the house, so a fun fix was a movie marathon. Let your kid pick out some movies or one favorite one and just put it on repeat. They will hopefully lay down for a solid few minutes and rest while they watch it. It's a win-win situation.


Burts Bee's Products:
Bubble bath, Shampoo Calming lotion.
My kid loves bath time, so getting her to soak in some soapy water and relax with some toys was pretty easy. It also helped keep her mind off of feeling like poo, which was a major positive. I love most of the Burts Bees products but these three happen to be my current favorites. I always have them in my house and we use them regularly. I love the way they smell and how soft they leave Katie's skin. They don't contain a ton of harmful chemicals and we just really enjoy them. I actually got pretty excited the other day thinking about using them on Ella when she is born. She will be one yummy smelling newborn. :)


Simply Saline & Boogie Wipes
Katie seems to struggle with getting a stuffy nose regardless if she is sick or not. It's pretty easy for her nose just to be stuffed up a little so these tools come in handy for me. Whenever she seems to be really stuffed up and having a tough time breathing through her nose, usually around bedtime, I use the saline spray. Of course this is not her favorite activity, and using the nose sucker, as we call it in our house, surely isn't a party. The Boogie Wipes are handy when we're out and about and she has a pesky little booger that just wont leave her alone. A few good swipes with these bad boys and we're good as new. The wipes work great for a runny nose as well.


Children's Tylenol 
Last but not least, I keep some Children's Tylenol in the medicine cabinet. If you know my family we're not to big on using medicine unless we really see fit. And until Katie came down with this gross sickness, she had never once taken any medicine, not even for teething. That though is no attribute to me, because thankfully she hasn't been a terrible teether & she had never spiked a crazy fever before. If any of you mama's out there have used medicines before that's perfectly fine. I'm simply stating what we do/or have done over here. When I first took Katie to the doctor for being sick, we gave her a dose of this Children's Tylenol before we left so they could help show me what amount to give and any other helpful tips. I was relieved when this brought her fever down from 102.6 back to a 99.8. She never seemed to get to uncomfortable with her fever after this dosage, so I never gave her any more. Now that she has had it, and I've seen how it works for her, I keep some at home, just in case.


What are some of your must haves when your children get sick?
Leave a comment below and let me know.
& here's to hoping that our poor kiddos never get sick again. ;)
Have a great Easter weekend.



No comments:

Post a Comment